Recently we asked our missionaries to share with us a recipe from the country they serve in that we could share with our supporters. Some of these dishes are made for celebrations and others to share in small groups. We want to encourage you to make these dishes with your family this holiday season and to be reminded of and pray for our KMUSA missionaries serving in Europe!
Today we share a recipe from the Hodges serving in Germany!
“Please pray that we would enjoy the time and pour into the current seminary students at Theologisches Seminar Rheinland. Enduring a busy season with language classes and new projects at the seminary.” – Rebekah Hodges
Click this link to view the full recipe and the video Rebekah made! German Waffles Recipe – YouTube
250 g (1 and 1/8 c) soft unlsalted butter
200 g (1 c) sugar
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 medium, room temperature eggs
500 g (4 cups) flour
2 t baking powder
125 ml (½ c) whole milk
125 ml (½ c) cream
- Place the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk by hand or with a machine for about 5 minutes until creamy.
- Add eggs, one by one, and mix for about a minute each.
- Combine the flour and baking powder and add to the butter mixture. Add milk and cream and mix until smooth.
- Heat waffle maker and grease with a little bit of butter (just before the first waffle). Add about ¾ c of the batter and bake until golden brown.
- For traditional German waffles, serve with Nutella, sweet cherries, and/or powdered sugar.
One of our new family favorites since moving to Germany is “savory waffles”. Using this recipe, finally add chopped jalapenos, cheese, salami or ham, and corn.
If you would like to support the Hodges ministry donate today at Partner with Kontaktmission – Kontaktmission USA (gokmusa.org)